Then I went into the kitchen to make my recipe…the bread had molded! DRATS! My meat had thawed, cheese had been purchased, and the mushrooms were ready and ripe.
Then as usual, life got out of control. I couldn’t get this dish made. I was actually sad. I wanted to make it for days and days and finally, the stars aligned and I was able to get in the kitchen and make my stuffed bread.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 oz. mushrooms; sliced
- 1 small onion; sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 clove garlic; minced/grated
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large sauté pan on medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper t taste and the parsley.
- Mix well.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same, still warm, pan, add the mustard and stir around.
- Add the crumbled ground beef and mix the mustard into it.
- Add the garlic and the thyme and brown the meat thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any rendered fat.
- Slice the loaf of French bread in half, scoop out the soft bread and set aside (or eat it unabashedly).
- Layer the meat in the bottom.
- Place the 8 slices of Swiss cheese over the meat, the spoon the mushroom/onion mixture over the top.
- Replace the top part of the loaf and wrap the entire loaf in foil.
- Bake in a 350° degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.